Diversifying the Breastfeeding/Lactation Support Workforce to Reduce Breastfeeding Disparities
The First Food Equity Project, funded by the WKKF Kellogg Foundation, will improve the initiation and duration of breastfeeding rates among low-income communities by expanding community-based, peer-to-peer support models that diversify the maternal and child health workforce.
HealthConnect One is utilizing the First Food Equity project to increase available breastfeeding support by diverse, community-based peer-to-peer providers, resulting in increased breastfeeding rates. We will do this by committing to:
- HEALTH – A shared commitment to the health and well-being of every child, family, and community
- OPPORTUNITY – Ensuring an equal chance for women to make real choices about breastfeeding, free from structural and cultural barriers
- SUPPORT – A responsibility to encourage and help all women and babies successfully breastfeed We will do this by partnering with ten organizations to support community-led projects from identified Black, Indigenous, and People of Color leaders across the country.
HC One has identified 15 organizations to support community-led projects from identified Black, Brown, and Indigenous, and People of Color leaders across the country. We will do this to explore and engage the community in increasing breastfeeding intention, initiation, and duration at six weeks during a pandemic. We are providing financial assistance and technical support for community-led initiatives and projects. The cohort will also foster collaboration, share learnings, and support current work in underserved communities, rural communities, and communities of color.
Cohort #1 (from top left to bottom right): African American Breastfeeding Network; Northeast MS Birthing Project; Bottling Up Tears; Mothers, Dads & Babies (MODABA); Reaching Our Brothers Everywhere (ROBE); Let’s Talk Baby Cafe; New Mexico Breastfeeding Coalition; Black Mothers Breastfeeding Association (BMBFA); Asian Pacific Islander Breastfeeding Task Force.
- Lactation Across BordersNational Breastfeeding Month | Roundtable Discussion Date: August 30th […]
- Announcing the First Food Equity ProjectDiversifying the breastfeeding lactation support workforce will reduce breastfeeding disparities […]
- Video by National First Food Racial Equity CohortWatch – First Food: Women of Color Removing Barriers to Breastfeeding […]