- Posted by: Gordon Mayer
Come make a difference and impact lives while working from home! HealthConnect One is currently hiring for an Executive Director to guide their high-performing and collaborative team in engaging strategic partners across the nation to improve the health of moms, babies and families. HealthConnect One is the national leader in advancing equitable, community-based, peer-to-peer support for pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and early parenting. They facilitate shared learning, organizing, and advocacy among partners throughout the country, to improve support for families and move towards birth equity.
Description: What you’ll be doing
Another Source’s client, HealthConnect One, is recruiting an Executive Director to lead their team. This can be a remote position, but preference will be given to candidates located in large urban areas close to major airports. Here’s a little about HealthConnect One and the position they are recruiting for:
Why HealthConnect One?
HealthConnect One is the national leader in advancing respectful, community-based, peer-to-peer support during pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and early parenting. This is our mission. We see healthy births as the cornerstone of a healthy community. Our vision is to see every baby, mother, and family thrive in a healthy community. We work to achieve this vision through an equity focused approach supporting the first 1000 days for birthing families. We understand that our society will do well only when our children are healthy and thriving, starting at birth. We believe every baby, mother, and family has the right to live into their highest potential – including parents and families from every race, income, and background.
This is an unprecedented time for our organization – and for our field. We seek to retain our role as a national leader, and work to:
- Transform the delivery of care during pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and early parenting
- Build the movement of community-based support for birthing families
- Shift the conversation around birth in this country towards equity
HealthConnect One transforms how babies are born and cared for in their first months of life. We partner primarily with low-income communities and communities of color across the country to co-design programs and initiatives that effectively support parents and babies in many aspects of their lives, understanding that community members are the best experts on their families and neighborhoods. Our work puts people in touch with their own strengths, their own skills, and a sense of personal and collective power. Specifically, we:
- Co-design programs and initiatives that empower women to make informed decisions across many aspects of their lives – in partnership with nonprofit agencies, health systems, and community groups
- Mentor community members to lead these programs and initiatives as they are the best experts on their families and communities
- Facilitate shared learning, organizing, and advocacy among partners throughout the country, to improve support for families and move towards birth equity
- Amplify community voices to improve practice and policy in maternal and child health; often serving as a bridge between decision-makers and community leaders
- Monitor progress each step of the way and build the evidence base with data and stories to guide future policy and practice
Is this Job for Me?
HealthConnect One is hiring an Executive Director to guide our high-performing team with an anticipated start date in late summer / early fall 2020.
HealthConnect One’s next Executive Director will establish a set of priorities and strategic direction for the next stage of our growth, and leverage staff and board expertise to position HealthConnect One as a thought leader, effective advocate, and valued partner in the birth equity community.
This is a full-time position, requiring some travel. HealthConnect One’s main office is in Chicago, IL and this position can be done remotely.
Visionary: We seek a catalyst in fulfilling HealthConnect One’s vision with the ability to help set a bold new course for the future. The successful candidate will bring leadership characterized by an ability to garner broad community support, increase local and national visibility of the organization, and carry forward innovative ideas to build HealthConnect One’s impact.
An Advocate for Reproductive Justice and Birth Equity: We seek a leader who is willing and able to speak out about issues pertaining to equity in maternal and child health and communicating to community partners, funders, donors, policy makers, and other stakeholders with ease. We seek a persuasive, skilled communicator who feels comfortable in front of diverse national, regional, and local audiences. This leader will have deep knowledge and experience in advancing social justice, racial/ethnic equity, and maternal and child health, and will demonstrate a commitment to the mission of HealthConnect One, using poise and networking skills to effectively raise awareness of and funds for our work
Entrepreneurial: We seek a leader who has a track record of building and growing an organization – diversifying revenue streams, considering and implementing innovative business models, building and nurturing an effective staff culture, and making critical and timely financial decisions while assessing risk and reward. We value leaders who are agile in their thinking, with the ability to spot opportunities while staying aligned to the values of the organization.
Strategic: We seek an executive director who has worked through a significant organization-wide strategic planning and visioning process and has identified and executed both short and long-term objectives. The ideal candidate will demonstrate overall business acumen, including sound financial judgment; demonstrated skills in operations, business management, financial planning, and budgeting; and the ability to build systems and infrastructure to support a growing organization. They are willing to challenge the status quo to move the work forward, and display confidence making choices and decisions based on potential risks and benefits.
Authentic: We seek a leader who builds strong, respectful, and mutual working relationships with board, staff, community partners, funders, donors, policy makers, and other stakeholders to help achieve the goals of HealthConnect One. The ideal candidate’s executive presence and style reflects strong collaborative and relationship nurturing skills, blending the values of integrity, honesty, transparency, and equity. They should have experience leading diverse teams successfully and with purpose, reflecting optimism, promoting collaboration, and recognizing contributions of all stakeholders in the organization.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least 8 years of progressively complex experience; Master’s preferred
- Demonstrated experience working effectively and responsively with and in low-income communities and communities of color
- Deep knowledge of maternal and child health best practices, community needs assessment, and current public policy surrounding maternal and infant health and access to support, particularly in communities of color and low-income communities
- Expertise in the maternal child health policy arena, with demonstrated experience creating and leverage effective advocacy agendas
- Proven ability to hire, coach, and lead employees as an effective team of closely coordinated, professional, and self-accountable staff members
- Past success working collaboratively with a Board of Directors with the ability to attract, recruit, and cultivate new as well as existing board members
Demonstrated experience making strategic and data-based decisions
- Demonstrated fundraising acumen and experience obtaining private and public foundation support, government grants, corporate and individual major gifts
- Experience developing and/or operationalizing strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
Past success with building and utilizing effective systems to track progress and measure impact so organizational results can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational management with a particular emphasis on fiscal responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Competitive benefit package and salary commensurate with experience. This role is budgeted at $110,000–$125,000, depending on experience.
Candidate must pass a background check upon job offer to be eligible for this position.
HC One is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law. It is the policy of HC One to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, HC One is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. Accordingly, HC One will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any supervisor, co¬worker, vendor, client, or customer of HC One.